Back pain is an ailment that continuously affects millions of Americans each year. It can make tasks difficult to perform, make people miss out of work frequently, and lower their quality of life. If you have constant back pain, you may have questions about it. In this article, our chiropractors from Ultimate Health-A Complete Wellness Center in Bel Air and Towson are answering common questions about back pain.
What Is Back Pain?
Back pain is a mild or severe physical ache that occurs anywhere along the spine. This ailment is one of the main reasons why people seek out treatment.
What Causes Back Pain?
This problem has various causes, but the most common issues that bring about back pain are muscle or ligament strains, herniated or bulging discs, osteoarthritis, scoliosis, and osteoporosis. Back pain can also occur if you were in an auto accident, gotten a sports injury, or have nerve function problems.
What Symptoms Indicate Back Pain?
- Dull, sharp, or shooting pain in the lower back
- Pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness radiating down the legs
- Limited range of motion and flexibility
- Inability to stand straight without pain
What Are The Risk Factors That May Cause Me To Experience Back Pain?
The risk factors for back pain vary from person to person, but some are avoidable.
- Improper Lifting: Lifting heavy objects with the back instead of the knees lead to back pain.
- Overweight: Extra body weight puts pressure on the spine, causing back pain.
- Aging: As we age, back pain is more likely to occur.
- Job: A job that requires lifting is a risk factor for back pain, but so are occupations that require long periods of sitting at desks.
- Mental Illness: Stress, anxiety, and depression leads to full-body aches and pains.
- Pregnancy: The weight and pressure of carrying a child puts a strain on the back.
When Should I Visit A Chiropractor?
No matter if you have acute or chronic back pain, it is always a good idea to visit a chiropractor for treatment. Unlike traditional medicine where it masks symptoms, chiropractic treatment is natural, drug-free, and non-invasive, and treats the root problem of your pain. In addition to finding the cause of your back pain, the treatments you will receive are custom-made to meet your needs and goals.
Get In Touch With Our Chiropractors In Bel Air and Towson, MD, Today
We at Ultimate Health-A Complete Wellness Center offer a variety of treatments for back pain. Schedule your appointment today to learn how the aches and pain can become a thing in the past. For our Bel Air office, call 410-569-5969. For our Towson office, call 443-275-7620.